For a copy of the Northern Virginia Chapter membership brochure, please click here. To join, go to the bottom of this page and fill out the two membership forms. One is for the National Association and the other one is for the local Chapter.
All members of the Northern Virginia Chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators are members of the Association of Legal Administrators (ALA), headquartered in Lincolnshire, Illinois
- Full-time legal administrators or support managers employed in a private law firm, legal service clinic, corporate legal department, university legal department, governmental legal agency, court system, charitable legal agency or some other organization engaged primarily in the practice of law.
- Practicing lawyers with principal management responsibility in their legal organization.
- Individuals who devote 100 percent of their working time, and are engaged in an ongoing employment-type relationship providing continuing management services of the types described in (1)(01)-(05) of the "Membership Criteria and Classes" section of the membership application to no more than three legal organizations.
- Retired legal administrators who are not otherwise employed.
- Unemployed legal administrators as defined in (1) of the "Membership Criteria and Classes" section of the membership application.
- Full-time teachers of business, management or law-related disciplines at institutions of higher learning, as well as deans with administrative and management responsibilities at such institutions.
- Full-time students in business, management or law-related studies at institutions of higher learning.
- Bar association executives.
ALA encourages minority membership in the Association and in the profession. Please note that membership is not open to vendors or consultants. For further information on eligibility criteria, please call ALA at 847.267.1252 or by e-mail today!
If you're interested in membership and want more information, you may request a prospective member kit by contacting ALA Member Services at 847.267.1252 or by e-mail.
Benefits of ALA Membership
The Association of Legal Administrators (ALA) is committed to developing the legal management profession and the professional expertise of its members. As a member of ALA you will experience that commitment through:
- networking (locally, regionally, nationally and internationally)
- professional recognition
- CLE/CPE Credit (offered for selected programs)
- reduced dues rate (for unemployed members and for those serving indigents on a full-time basis)
- ALA Management SolutionsSM (professional headquarters staff provides assistance in locating resources and references for your current management questions)
- chapter and leadership support (substantive educational tools, idea exchanges and workshops to educate chapter leaders)
- Annual Conference and Exposition (members receive reduced rates)
- Regional Conferences
- Retreats and Specialized Programs
- Educational Courses (presented locally on timely management subjects)
- ALA Teleseminars
Products and Services Included in ALA Membership
- Legal Management (bimonthly journal)
- ALA News (bimonthly member magazine)
- Membership and Peer Consulting Directory (includes listings of 8,000 members)
- Career Resources Kit
- ALA Management ConnectionsSM (Job Bank)
Member Discounts on Other Management Resources
- ALA offers, at discounted rates to members, a collection of informative resources prepared by experts, all designed to increase productivity, profitability, and quality of services. The ALA Management Resources Catalog lists information on:
- products relating to human resources, finance, technology, facilities, leadership, total quality management and marketing
- upcoming educational opportunities
- member services and benefits programs
- ALA Value in Partnership (VIP)SM PROGRAM (discounts from a variety of vendors)
To find out how you can take advantage of the opportunities ALA provides, or to receive more information about ALA's programs, services and resources, please call ALA Headquarters at 847.267.1252. If you prefer, you may contact ALA by fax at 847.267.1329 or by e-mail. We look forward to hearing from you!
To Apply for Membership in the Association of Legal Administrators, please fill out the two Application forms below. One is for National Membership and the other is for Local Chapter Membership.
1) National ALA Membership:
Individuals interested in joining the Association of Legal Administrators (ALA) who meet the criteria for membership are welcome to complete and submit an Application For Membership. An electronic form is provided online at www.alanet.org. (Membership criteria appears in the application form.) There are two ways to apply for membership-- Hard Copy or Online. To apply for membership visit the website (www.alanet.org) here>
For answers to specific questions and/or for more detailed information, please call ALA at 847.267.1252 or e-mail your specific request.
2) Local ALA Membership--Northern Virginia Chapter
The Northern Virginia Chapter serves its members by providing a forum for improving the quality of their profession and that of their law firms through the exchange of information and by providing educational opportunities to administrators and members of their firms.
Individuals interested in joining the ALA Northern Virginia Chapter who have met the criteria for membership (membership criteria appears on the application form) and are members of ALA National are welcome to join. Click on the application, complete the form, print it and mail it with a check for chapter dues to
Benjamin S. Sotelo, Firm Administrator, Vaughan, Fincher & Sotelo, PC, 8619 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 400, Vienna, VA 22182, (703) 506-1810 (phone), (703) 506-1850 (fax).
Please note that this print version of the form is a PDF file and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to be on your computer in order for you to read it. Click on the link below to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader, if you don't already have it.